Thursday, December 29, 2011

Read, Listen & Learn On a Nook Color

For Christmas I received a Nook Color – my very first ebook reader. To say I was excited when I saw it would be an understatement. I’ve already downloaded a couple of books in English and Spanish, the newest update (includes Netflix app), and checked out some books from the library.nookcolor

Then I started to think about about how I could use the Nook for my Spanish language learning. For some time I’ve wanted to use the resources provided by VeinteMundos, but just couldn’t find the time to read the articles or listen to the mp3s on my laptop. (Granted I could’ve downloaded the MP3s on my iPod Touch, but just never got around to it.)

So this morning, I downloaded several PDFs of the articles along with the corresponding audio files onto my Nook. So now I can read and listen to the articles wherever I want, whenever I want.

How do you use your ebook reader to help you with your language learning?

3 comments:

Emma said...

Great talking point! I love ebooks! I currently borrow my other half's Kindle but I feel 2012 will be the year that I treat myself to my own ebook reader :D.

For language learning, I read short stories for children as reading is much more enjoyable when you only need to look up the odd word.

I also find I actually learn MORE new vocabulary when reading children's/young adult's books because I can read for longer without getting tired of concentrating!

There are lots of reasonably priced (less than €1) Kindle ebooks on Amazon. Go to Amazon.es for Spanish ebooks for children (click on 'Kindle' then 'ebooks Kindle' then 'Infantil y juvenil' on the left hand side). Sort by 'comentarios de clientes' for those that have been rated most highly by readers.

Another reason I like the Kindle is that it comes with a built-in dictionary in several languages, including English, Spanish, French, German and Italian!

I have to admit I like the look of the Nook Color! That's one thing the Kindle doesn't have - color! Any chance it has a built-in dictionary? I might have to treat myself to one very soon if it does :D.

trisha said...

I hope this thread continues. I am trying to decide whether to buy a Kindle Fire or Nook. I am very interested in what is available in both written word and audio for either of these devices.
Thanks,

Karen said...

Well, I get the impression so far that there are more Spanish books available for the Nook than the Kindle which makes me happy.

In my opinion, I would wait on the Kindle Fire being that it's a first generation. Can you imagine the improvements that will be made the next time?