Monday, December 5, 2011

Students use Spanish language skills to help needy

I love this! Two groups of high school Spanish language students in northern Kentucky are using their growing language skills to help the needy in their community. Here’s an excerpt from the article:

Aside from helping local families, the students are also improving their Spanish, according to Cobb.

"They're learning so much, not just about the language but also about the culture," said Cobb. "It's a huge benefit for them to be able to speak Spanish with native speakers.

"They're excited to help and the group is really getting into the project."

This is how to learn a language! I wish I had had a similar opportunity when I was in high school or college.

By the way, I ran across this article via the CASLS newsletter which I would highly recommend. I look forward to it every Monday morning.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I absolutely agree, I wish I had access to native speakers around here to practice with. Actual human interaction with native speakers ALWAYS beats everything else (books, movies, etc.), you just can't substitute for it. If you want to get fluent, you HAVE to start talking to natives at some point, preferably sooner rather than later.

Plus, they're helping those that need help and learning in the process...good deal :)

By the way, could I possibly ask you to add me to your blog roll? Sorry, I wouldn't normally ask something like this in a comment but there's no way to contact you on your site. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Andrew

Anonymous said...

Karen-
Thanks so much for this great story and all the things you are sharing on your blog site! I ran across it and have found some links to some great stuff!
Lisa - Spanish Teacher from Omaha, Nebraska