Sunday, June 29, 2008

Medical Spanish and Spanish Grammar Review Podcasts

Molly Martin, M.D. started producing these podcasts last year and in my opinion, is providing a very helpful service in light of the increase of native Spanish speakers needing medical services. Topics include lyme disease, glaucoma, stroke, physical exams and so much more.

Dr. Martin is a practicing Internal Medicine doctor and has been speaking Spanish for over 10 years. Her friend Maria Bjorklund, MS, who is originally from Peru, often plays the role of the patient in the dialogs, proofreads the podcast transcripts and is a high school Spanish teacher.

She also supplements the medical podcasts with Spanish grammar podcasts.

So, if you're in the medical field or know someone who is, I would recommend these podcasts. And now that I think about it, it might be possible to use these in more advanced classes - learning about parts of the body and so on.


2 comments:

Josh said...

I am always impressed when I go to the bookstore and see the selection of Spanish books for medical professionals, law enforcement, construction, etc. From a business standpoint I think they have found a really good niche. I think there is also a real need for those types of books and podcasts.

I used to work in property management managing and leasing apartments and I was the only one that could actually lease an apartment to a Spanish-speaker or help them with a problem. (Which worked out well because it was a guaranteed commission for me if someone came in and spoke Spanish!) I started to develop a Spanish class for property managers, but ended up changing professions and didn't pursue it.

Karen said...

Wow, also a great way to practice your conversational Spanish! :)