Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Harry Potter is pregnant?

I'm reading Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban and have run across the word embarazado three or four times now. Here is one example:

On page 65 of my edition, the scene where Mrs. Weasley gives a kiss to all her children including Harry when the Hogwarts Express arrives:

"Éste se sintió embarazado pero muy agradecido cuando ella le dio un abrazo de más."

Well, let's hope he doesn't feel pregnant, because then that would take the story to an entirely new level. Embarazada means to be pregnant. (Of course, the word embarazado doesn't exist.) I think the translator was thinking of embarazoso which means embarrassing or awkward.

I was very surprised to see it the first time, but more than once? I'm on chapter 10 now. I wonder how many more times I'll run across this word used in this way.

For more translation funnies, visit Josh's blog.

No comments: